Search Build Log

22 Jan 2024

38-05: Installing JD Air Latch

I decided early on to install the optional JD Air Latch. Now that the cockpit painting was complete, it was time to final install this part. It is exciting to actually install something which does not have to come out again! 

When i designed and drilled the mounts back in Chapter 29, I had made up some 1/64" thick (0.016") spacers, as this made the gap around the handle a lot smaller and i thought it looked better. Between then and now, I purchased some M5 x 12mm x 0.5mm thick nylon washers, which fit a AN3 bolt. These are 0.020" thick - so a little thicker than the original spacers, but close enough (probably similar thickness once the spacers had been painted). I used these in place of the spacers i made up. 

There was a little divot drilled into the handle, to accept a rivet which was used to fill an unused hole in the side skins - i filled this with some of the neighbours nail polish! 

I am very glad i went with this product - it is a true joy to use. Nice and solid. 


It's not my nail polish - i promise!

I tweaked the washers used, so the hole in the bolts lined up properly with the gaps in the nut, and the handle operated freely.

I am really happy i went with the smaller 1/64" gap - it looks heaps better. 

Finally, I had to test it out!


No comments:

Post a Comment