Search Build Log

12 Apr 2018

DRDT2 Laser!

When working on the control surface practice kit, I noticed a few times it was difficult to “find the hole” with the male die (so to speak), even on this small skin piece. This results in some scratches to the skin, which while not a big issue, if I can avoid them I would.

So I started googling drill press lasers, as I have seen others put these on their DRDR2 dimpler. Dismayed at the price, it dawned on me that my Ryobi drill press had a laser which was near on useless as the table goes up and down so much... so a few screws out, some snipped and resoldered wire, and I was able to:

It is attached using a home made sheet bracket, a bit of solid core wire and a couple of cable ties. The box / switch / batteries is just held on with electrical tape (for lack of foam double sided tape).


I little bend of the wire to get the laser clear of the dimpling action and to place the crosshairs on the tip of the male die, and it seems to work pretty well, for a free thing! 



No comments:

Post a Comment